After I powered it up the first time and it worked, I can't tell you how happy I was. I know it may not seem like that big of a deal to some, but I can't express how big of a mental mountain this has been to me. I have been enjoying a lot of success with things I have designed for my work lately, many of which have worked better than anticipated and yet every time I would work on the LCD charger... nothing. So it helps to have some level of success again!
The goal of the breakout board was to allow me to try out some of the things I changed between board designs and see their effect (or is it affect, I am no English Expert) one at a time. The first was removing the the pull up resistor on the FWUP pin and what do you know... it no longer worked! I have no idea what I read or when exactly I thought to remove/GND that pin but you had better believe I am going to put the pull up resistor back in my design.
The strange part is that I have one of the very first prototype boards and when I remove the pull-up resistor on it, it still works just fine so I never thought that could be the culprit. Also I tried hacking on a pull up resistor without success and so now I am going to send off another version of the latest design but this time I am going to include the pull-up resistor on the FWUP pin. Lets all hope it works! If it does then Ian Oliver Gets an LCD charger.