Don't judge me too harshly on the PCB layout, I had to balance being a perfectionist and trying to get it out in time to be made... Time won. Either way, electrically all the connections are there and the most critical parts are sound. The board below was also specifically made for testing so it has quite a few extra pads and traces that won't be in the final.
The First thing you will notice is the form factor as compared to my first test LCD charger (the green one with the LCD at the bottom). There are several reasons for the change but overall I think it just worked better.
Some of the biggest differences between this one and the Non-LCD (smaller one) are:
- Of course the LCD
- ARM cortex-M3 Microcontroller
- Higher switching frequency for the charging circuit.
- Potential to handle much higher charge currents
- Switch to Micro SD card for data logging
- Firmware can be upgraded using the USB (No FTDI adapter)
- 4 Buttons at the bottom for controlling features and scanning through menus
- 32.7khz crystal for potential real-time clock (RTC) features.
- Several improvements to the overall electrical design
- Did I mention it has an LCD! : )